Tower Tips: How To Prepare for Cyclones
The Pacific is no stranger to the threat of cyclone season each year. Even though we may have dealt with them before, it’s important to make sure we are always prepared before each season. Tower has put together some safety tips to help you and your family get ready in the event of a cyclone.
- Trim trees and keep branches well clear of your home.
- Clear your property of any loose objects that could blow about and cause injury or damage.
- Keep materials handy for securing or repairing items like your windows and roof – tarpaulins, boards and duct tape are especially helpful.
- Fit shutters to all glass areas.
- Keep a list of emergency numbers in a handy location.
- Have an emergency plan – and make sure your family know it as well.
- Keep up to date with cyclone warnings and listen to your local radio station for updates (and as soon as a warning is issued, it's a good idea to fill up your car’s fuel tank, just in case you have to evacuate).
- Make sure you have adequate house insurance – which helps you to rebuild and recover after the storm. With house insurance through Tower, you can get optional special benefit gale, windstorm, hurricane, cyclone cover. Talk to one of our friendly consultants today for more information here or sign up online.
- Take lots of photos of your house (both inside and outside) – this will help us make an assessment when it comes to claim time. Read more about how to make a claim.
- Last but not least, we recommend having an emergency kit ready at all times. Check yours is up to date if you already have one! If you have to evacuate in a rush, your emergency kit might be the only thing you have to keep your family warm, dry and fed.
Your emergency kit should include:
- Food and water for three days
- Bottled drinking water (at least 3L per person per day)
- Non-perishable food (canned and dried) and a can opener
- Primus or gas barbecue to cook on
- Water for washing and cooking
- Waterproof torches
- Spare batteries
- Battery operated radio
- First aid kit and essential medicines
- Blankets and warm clothing
- Wind and rain-proof clothing
Being prepared for when cyclones strike can make all the difference for you and your family.
Tower is here to help during these stressful times. Contact us today to get your house insurance with cyclone cover sorted.
Find out more about house insurance in your country here:
- Samoa https://www.national-pacific-insurance.ws/
- Tonga https://www.national-pacific-insurance.to/
- American Samoa https://www.national-pacific-insurance.as/
- Cook Islands https://www.towerinsurance.co.ck/
- Solomon Islands https://www.towerinsurance.com.sb/
- Vanuatu https://www.towerinsurance.com.vu/
- Papua New Guinea https://www.towerinsurance.com.pg/