Cyclone safety tips
Tropical Cyclone Gita is approaching Fiji in the next 24-48hrs. And we all need to be prepared. Here are safety tips which can help you get ready.
Check your home before a cyclone strikes:
- Trim trees and keep branches well clear of your home.
- Clear your property of any loose objects that could blow about and cause injury or damage.
- Keep materials handy for securing or repairing items like your windows and roof – tarpaulins, boards and duct tape are especially helpful.
- Fit shutters to all glass areas.
- Keep a list of emergency numbers in a handy location.
We recommend having an emergency kit ready at all times. Check yours is up to date. If you have to evacuate in a rush, your emergency kit might be the only thing you have to keep your family warm, dry and fed.
Your emergency kit should include:
- Food and water for three days.
- Bottled drinking water (at least 3L per person per day).
- Non-perishable food (canned and dried) and a can opener.
- Primus or gas barbecue to cook on.
- Water for washing and cooking.
- Waterproof torches.
- Spare batteries.
- Battery operated radio.
- First aid kit and essential medicines.
- Blankets and warm clothing.
- Wind and rain-proof clothing.
Be sure to listen to your local radio station for cyclone warnings and updates. As soon as a warning is issued, it’s a good idea to fill up your car’s fuel tank, just in case you have to evacuate.
Once the cyclone has passed, look after your family and neighbours as there will likely be a few hazards around.
During and after a cyclone:
- Stay indoors in the strongest part of the building.
- Know where your family members are.
- Drive carefully as roads may be filled with debris. Stay away from fallen power lines, damaged roads and landslides.
- Don’t let children play in the storm or storm waters especially near drains and culverts.
- Boil all drinking water.
What to do if you’ve been affected
Suva call 331 5955, Tower House, Thomson Street, Suva
Nadi call 666 1899, Shop 3, Airport Central Complex, Namaka, Nadi
Lautoka call 666 0751, Shop 13, Tappoo City Building, Narara Parade, Lautoka.
Contact us firstname.lastname@example.org or Facebook Tower Insurance Fiji